Atlas Flycatcher photo

by Andrea Corso

Following on from THIS POST  (below) on Atlas Flycatcher, a photo illustrating one of the core ID issues, the variation of white patterning in the greater coverts. Also see first post for helpful new questions and comments (at end).

Balia dell'Atlante De Rosa (7)

Male Atlas Flycatcher
In this photos, taken by Davide De Rosa in Morocco during breeding season, it is easy to detect 4 black GCs of which the 4th shows only a very narrow white fringe around the feather

8 thoughts on “Atlas Flycatcher photo

1. José Luis Copete

Dear Martin,
    Could it be possible to know the locality and date where that male was trapped?
    Cheers

2. linosabirding

The photos is one of many of the same bird done in June at Ifrane however, all the photos of this, like of many other males would be published in the relevant mentioned paper in BIRDING WORLD, sure I could not put here all the photos I have as these should come along into the main paper there. No other Ficedula were seen at the place ….

3. linosabirding

However, just go and check on the internet photos of Atlas Flycatcher done in breeding ground during late spring, and you will see at least 2 to 4 black outermost GCs in all of them

for example open wing adult male from Ifrane June 2009, done by Rafael Armada got 3 and an half GCs black, all the other perched birds show black outer GCs

all in all, I do not find so difficult to find imagines of Atlas Fly with dark outermost GCs and it is odd the opposite, that still it is so hard to convince people that it is not true that Atlas Fly has all GCs white…. only because with closed wing they “appear” all white

4. José Luis Copete

Heh, this is funny, Andrea… You are suggesting me to check the pictures by Rafael Armada? Please check our DB paper, Rafa is my co-author, and we were together in the field, some of the birds he photographed were also trapped by me during that trip, as shown in the paper. I know well these pictures!

5. linosabirding

indeed Josè I know this as you were the first person who pointed me in the correct direction in considering most Iberian Pied identical to Atlas,,,, and iberiae surely has dark outer GCs , if Altas wouldn’t then ID would be easy ! I was only pointing readers of this webpage where to see on line photos of a brteeding male with spread wing (where I could clearly see 2 and half black outer GCS or 3 and a half)

6. linosabirding

Sorry, the correct dates for the posted photo is April, at Merzouga… I skipped the photos ! So indeed this bird was ID as speculigera and geographically iberiae there would be pretty hard to get, but since done during migration iberiae could not fully eliminated ! this photo is from the bunch in my PC we did not took into consideration for the study but only the one considered potential speculigera and took simply as a comparison.
    I will post later an adult male speculigera with open wing proven as so without doubt due to genetic analisis…also the linked June Ifrane photo by Armada clearly show black outer GCs as the other photos ion the forthcoming BW paper will show too
    Thanks to Josè for the much interesting suggestions on iberiae and for the relevant discussion